Culpeper, Virginia : : www.visitculpeperva.com
Perfect. Unexpected. Getaway.
Home Attractions Outdoors Lodging Dining Shopping Events Transportation Contact UsEvent Planners Visitor's Guide
Historical Attractions: Churches & Cemeteries

Designations: JTHG - Journey Through Hallowed Ground; NRHP - National Register of Historic Places; ToC - Town of Culpeper Historic Marker; VLR - Virginia Landmark Register.

 

Antioch Baptist Church

One of the oldest churches in Culpeper, Antioch Baptist Church originated in the 1850’s. Separated from the Mount Pony Baptist Church, Antioch was first called “the African Church” organized in 1859. The first congregation, also referred to as free worshippers, met at a Confederate barracks located near the railroad station. According to church records, the Antioch Baptist Church was founded in 1865, and under the direction of Reverend Harrison Blair, Henry Lightfoot, Alexander Hart, and Alexandria Jackson, the church was relocated to a lot near Locust Street. The Locust Street Church was destroyed by fire around 1873. The Trustees then relocated to a brick warehouse building near the railroad station until 1886. The fourth and final move, to the present day site occurred in 1886 and the current sanctuary was constructed.

Designations: ToC

 

For More Information:

202 S. West Street
Culpeper, VA 22701
Phone: (540) 825-2768
Website: www.antiochculpeper.com

 

 

Cedar Run Baptist Church

Cedar Run ChurchThe earliest congregation of Cedar Run Baptist Church was formed in 1822, dissolved and reformed in 1930. The church sat in the midst of the Battle of Cedar Mountain in August of 1862, and its congregation did not meet in the church from 1861 through 1864. By 1869, another church was erected on its former site, and in 1877, the church moved again to a spot just a few feet west of its present location. With the purchase of adjoining land, construction was completed in 1894 on the structure which stands today. The construction cost of $1450.00 was offset with a check from the United States Government for $720.00 as compensation for a nearby structure that Federal troops had destroyed.

For More Information:

Route 692, Culpeper. From Culpeper, take Route 15 South to left on Route 692

 

Crooked Run Baptist Church

Crooked Run Baptist Church was organized in 1772 and is named for the stream that flows nearby. James Garnett Sr., one of the early pastors, served the congregation from 1774 until close to his death in 1830. Another member, Thomas Ammon, became a minister and was imprisoned in the Culpeper jail for preaching in the late 1700s. The first meeting of the Orange Baptist Association occurred here in 1789. At first the members met in a meeting house, but by 1856 they had built a brick structure. This church was destroyed by a fire in 1910 and rebuilt the same year using the remains of the brick walls. Crooked Run is located 10 miles south of Culpeper on Rte. 15, near Rapidan.

For More Information:

7351 James Madison Highway (Rt. 15)
Rapidan VA 22733
Phone:(540)-672-2700
Website: www.crookrunbaptistchurch.org

 

Culpeper National Cemetery

Culpeper National CemeteryThe Culpeper National Cemetery was established on April 13, 1867 and covered approximately 6 acres. It was dedicated as the final resting place for the heroes of the United States who fell in battle or died of disease during the Civil War in the surrounding Culpeper area. On October 21, 1975, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Burton Hammond Post 2524, were instrumental in arranging for the donation of 10.51 acres of land from Joe H. Garner, President of Bingham & Taylor Corp., as a memorial to all corporation employees who served in the armed forces. In 2001, the VFW, American Legion, local officials and residents once again were instrumental in acquiring an additional 12 acres of land to extend burial services to our most honored veterans for another 50 years or more.

Eligibility for interment in a National Cemetery includes all active duty members of the Armed Forces, and veterans who served in the military and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. A veteran's spouse and dependent children are also entitled to National Cemetery interment.

Donated burial flags are flown on Veterans' Day and Memorial Day to honor the veterans. Ceremonies are held and sponsored by the VFW and the American Legion on both days of recognition. Cemetery Records Online gives on-line access to all burial records of the Culpeper National Cemetery that are on file in Virginia.

Designations: JTHG, NRHP, VLR

 

For More Information:

Downtown, 305 U.S. Avenue (no sign), entrance is from E. Stevens Street across the railroad
Hours: Cemetery grounds are open for visitation from dawn to dusk every day of the year
Phone: (540) 825-0027

Website: www.va.gov

Open to the public during daylight hours

 

Emmanuel Episcopal Church

Emmanuel Episcopal Church in RapidanLocated in Historic Rapidan, the 1800’s milling community first known as Waugh’s Ford, Emmanuel Episcopal Church is another fine example of a Carpenter’s Gothic church. Situated on the Culpeper County side of Rapidan, the church was built in 1864.

For More Information:

28279 Rapidan Road
Rapidan, VA. 22733
Phone: (540) 672-1395 or (540)672-3351

Website: www.emmanuelrapidan.com

 

 

 

Fairview Cemetery

Fairview Cemetery Confederate grave monumentFairview is a beautiful cemetery which dates back to the 1800's. It was known as Citizen’s Cemetery until the turn of the century. The landscape design and the collection of many unique private monuments found in Fairview are typical of late 19th and early 20th century cemeteries. Erected in 1881, one of Fairview's historic markers is a memorial monument that marks a mass grave for Confederate soldiers. Their remains were reinterred at Fairview after being moved from the old cemetery on Jameson’s Hill. The grave of William Downs Farley, J.E.B. Stuart’s trusted scout, is nearby.  Farley’s remains were relocated to his home in South Carolina in 2002 in accordance with his dying wish. For more information, contact the Culpeper Town Clerk's office at (540)829-8240.

Designations: NRHP, VLR

 

For More Information:

Rte. 522 N. in the Town of Culpeper

Open to the public during daylight hours

 

Little Fork Episcopal Church c. 1774 - 1776

Historic Little Fork ChurchAlso known as Oak Shade Church, Little Fork Church is the oldest standing church building in Culpeper County, and the County's only Colonial church. It was ordered into existence in 1731 by Governor Spotswood as a "chapel of ease", to relieve the parish church and accommodate parishioners living at a distance. The present building was begun in 1773 at a cost of 30,000 pounds of tobacco. It is the third building at this location, two others having been destroyed by fire around 1750 and 1770. The monument placed here recognizes the Little Fork Rangers, the only Cavalry Unit from Culpeper in the Civil War. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and Virginia Landmarks Register.

Designations: NRHP, VLR

For More Information:

16461 Oak Shade Road, Junction of Rtes. 624 and 726, off Rte. 299 North
Rixeyville, VA  22737
Hours: Contact church before visiting
Contact: (540) 937-4306
Website: www.littleforkchurch.org

 

Masonic Cemetery c. 1820

Grave marker of Revolutionary War Colonel and Minuteman, John Jameson Given "to the Masons of Culpeper County" under the will of American Revolutionary War hero General Edward Stevens in 1820, the original one-acre Stevens family burial site has grown to over seven acres. In addition to General Stevens' graves are those of many prominent Culpeper families such as Button, Waite, Kyle, Reams, Guinn, and Hudson to name just a few.

For More Information:

Rte. 229 North, near intersection of Radio Lane
Culpeper, VA 22701
Hours: Open to the public during daylight hours
Contact: secretary@fairfax43.org

 

Mitchell's Presbyterian Church

Built in 1879 under the leadership of the Reverend John P. Strider, this simple Carpenter's Gothic church contains the most elaborate example of late 19th century, folk-style trompe l'oeil frescoes in the Commonwealth. The Italian immigrant painter Joseph Dominick Phillip Oddenino, born in 1831 in Chieri, Turin, Italy, executed the frescoes between 1892 and 1899. Oddenino painted the ceiling to resemble beams framing rosettes. The artwork is a shining example of the ancient art of fresco and is a curious transplant in the rural Virginia countryside. The church, along with the frescoes, underwent complete restoration beginning in 1979. Several other examples of Oddenino's work remain in the region - Mitchells Church is one of the finest and most complete.

Designations: JTHG, NRHP, VLR

 

For More Information:

Off Rte. 652 in the village of Mitchells, VA
Hours: Contact church before visiting
Contact: (540) 825-1079
Website: www.mitchellschurch.org

 

St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church c. 1821

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church gravestoneThe oldest church building in the Town of Culpeper, St. Stephen’s was built in 1821. During the Civil War, the Town of Culpeper was shelled several times, and town residents would hurry to the former rectory on South East Street and hide in the large and deep cellar. The church continued to minister to citizens and soldiers, and became a hospital following the Battles of First and Second Manassas, Brandy Station, and Cedar Mountain. During the winter of 1863, General J.E.B. Stuart and his staff regularly attended services at St. Stephen’s. A cemetery and monument are on the church grounds. Visitors are welcome - please be considerate during any services in progress throughout the week. Please contact the Church office Mon - Fri, 9 am to 3 pm, to arrange a visit or tour.

Designations: VLR

 

For More Information:

115 N. East Street, Culpeper, between Davis and Cameron Streets
Culpeper, VA 22701
Hours: Contact church before visiting
Phone: (540)825-8786
Website: www.ststephensculpeper.net

 

Waddell Memorial Presbyterian Church

Built in 1874, Waddell Memorial Presbyterian Church is a wonderful example of Carpenter's Gothic architecture. The country church was named in honor of James Waddell, a local blind preacher and key player in the battle for religious tolerance during Colonial times. J. B. Danforth, an amateur architect, designed the church. The church possesses a tracing of Danforth's drawings by the Richmond carpenter-architect John Gibson, who presumably worked on the building. The design called for a steeple that was not included in the finished work. The Sanctuary is open to the public during daylight hours; the back of the church, where the offices are located, is not.

Designations: JTHG

 

For More Information:

7133 Rapidan Road
Rapidan, VA 22733
Hours: Contact church before visiting
Phone: (540)672-0334

 

Attractions

Arts & Culture

Agricultural Attractions

Aviation

Family Fun

Historical Attractions

Horse Shows

Trails & Tours

Wine & Moonshine

 

Facebook Twitter YouTube YouTube

Come Visit Culpeper

Home | Contact Us | News & Press I Weather I Map I Links

© Copyright 2006-2012 - Town of Culpeper/Tourism Department - All Rights Reserved
Website designed and developed by K Art and Design, Inc.
Photos/artwork by Culpeper Department of Tourism, Theresa Knight Design, K Art and Design, Inc.